Terms and conditions
FMEL houses are reserved for students enrolled at the UNIL or at the EPFL, in Bachelor or Master programmes or in an University of Applied – HES located in Canton de Vaud, as well as the beneficiaries of a Swiss Government Excellence Scholarship. Postgraduate and doctoral students, as well as students who have already obtained a Master degree, are not allowed to reside in the FMEL houses, except if they are beneficiaries of a Swiss Government Excellence Scholarship. During the summer holidays, or between two rental periods (end of a lease – beginning of a new one), the rooms can be rented out temporarily by the FMEL to other categories of people. Tenants of FMEL houses are obliged to file their administrative papers with the Population Office of the corresponding local council.
Students who have been exmatriculated are no longer allowed to stay in the FMEL houses. Upon known or expected exmatriculation the students must immediately terminate their lease. The notice periods and penalties for breach of contract remain applicable.
Change of the room
No room changes will be allowed after this booking (except from a room to a studio after a year of rental).
1. Booking cancellation policy
Once you have created a booking you will not be able to change your room selection and the contractual date of arrival. Your room will be on hold until you complete your reservation up to the contractual documents confirmation. You will need to continue the process within 48 hours otherwise your booking will be canceled and your account blocked for 1 month.
To unblock your account, a CHF 100.00 fee will be charged. After a month, the request to unblock the account is free of charge.
2. Lease cancellation policy
Any lease E-signature will be of a contractual nature. In the event of cancellation of the lease, the following terms apply:
• Notice given more than 30 days before the beginning of the lease: CHF 250.- and no new booking will be accepted before 3 months (cancellation fee CHF 250.-)
• Notice given more than 30 days before the beginning of the lease: CHF 500.- and no new booking will be accepted before 3 months (cancellation fee CHF 500.-)
• Notice given up to 15 days before the beginning of the lease: one month's rent and no new booking will be accepted before 3 months (cancellation fee 1 month)
• Notice given after the beginning of the lease: the deposit and no new booking will be accepted before 3 months (cancellation fee deposit)
For temporary leases during the summer period, from 15 days up to 3 months, the total amount of the stay will be charged in case of cancellation announced less than 15 days before the beginning of the lease. For the cancellation of a temporary group rental during the summer period, from 15 days up to 3 months, the conditions mentioned in the lease agreement apply
Termination of lease
For EASY and Long Term leases, once the minimum duration of 3.5 months is over, terminations must be notified at least 2 months in advance, except in cases of force majeure.
The following cases are considered as force majeure:
- failure, with school certification
- medical reason, with a medical certificate
A shorter notice is accepted for the above mentioned cases as follows:
- Termination notice given 1 month in advance: CHF 150.-
- Termination notice given less than 1 month in advance: CHF 300.-
In case of breach of contract before the minimal duration of lease: kindly refer to lease.
Exmatriculation at the end of your studies, or because of voluntary interruption of studies, is NOT considered a case of "force majeure".
Kindly note that it is not possible to return to FMEL earlier than 6 months after the termination date. If you are intending to return in the future, please contact your house administrator to re-enable your access to the reservation platform. Returning tenants do not have priority over new tenants.
All photographs and documents illustrating buildings and rooms on this housing portal are not contractual.